If I’m riding home from the city along my usual route, I pass by a long fence at the showgrounds, made of tall metal bars. At a certain time late on a sunny afternoon, a gap in the buildings, just behind the end of the fence, lets in a low ray of sun from the west. As I ride by, the light filtered by the bars of the fence produces a strobe effect, flashing so strongly that I’m momentarily blinded, and continue to see afterimages flicker before my eyes until the next intersection.
I tried to capture the effect on camera, but for some reason it doesn’t translate. Maybe I’m pointing it in the wrong direction, or maybe its automatic adjustments cancel out the flashes of light. But I will keep trying to film it every time I ride past, and hopefully I’ll find a way to capture it.
Here are two failed attempts.
thoughts relating to practice and research (as part of MFA project)
-
▼
2009
(67)
-
▼
April
(14)
- seeing blobs from the early universe
- morning fog
- how can a plant 'see'?
- watching the window cleaners from my studio
- more wind
- trees blown over in this morning's wind
- some thoughts about the duration of vision and the...
- fence prop
- trying to record flashes of lighting
- seedballs in the veggie patch
- a moment of all-over vision
- riding home on thursday
- a second of blindness on the way home
- pigeons pecking by the road
-
▼
April
(14)
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment