Some studio activities: Playing around with the yellow film and lenses (which never quite eventuated into what I’d planned) and observing the evening light tinge the walls orange.











Dying with mulberries: Every time I walked past the mulberry tree behind Lisa’s flat, I stopped to pick a few ripe looking berries to eat, and watched my feet for those littering the pavement below. Some had been squashed into the concrete already, spreading out into dark stains, others were cooking slowly in the sun.
For some time I’ve been doing a little research (for an unrelated project) into dyeing fabric with plants from the garden or gleaned from the surrounding neighbourhood. It was something I was just going to do for fun, but the mulberries got me thinking about how it could possibly become part of my work.
I happened to flip through a book on dying with plants in the artisan’s bookshop in Melbourne, months ago. I can’t remember the name of the book, but it described something called “sun dyeing”, a process that works over a long duration and which you have little control over, but with very little work involved.
The recipe from memory:
Take a jar, it can be a dirty one, with remnants of jam or pickles or whatever else was in it, as this can contribute to the dyeing process
Fold up the fabric you want to dye and put it in the jar
Add whatever material or substance you are using as dye and fill with water
Seal the lid tightly and place in a sunny spot for a minimum of one month
When it is ready, take out the fabric. If there is mould present put it in the freezer for a few days. Then wash the fabric to get rid of any of the dyeing substance. Perhaps iron it for added colourfastness (I don’t remember this point, but it makes sense to me.)
So I collected the mulberries from the pavement, picking up even the old hard ones, and put them in a jar with a scrap of silk and water. I left the jar on a shelf in Lisa’s garden, where it might catch a few rays of sunlight, and hopefully in a few months something interesting might emerge.
If anything, it is a nice way to use the sun and the berries that would otherwise go to waste, to produce some kind of small change (a chemical reaction) which would take place over weeks. I hope that it’s something which might test observation with its barely perceptible changes and act as a kind of time keeping, stretching out of time, or making time perceivable.







Umbrellas on the last rainy day:




Meanwhile, Lisa was down in Melbourne working on her inspirational project at Ocular Lab, involving a composting toilet, observations of light, air, water drips and plants, with comfy blankets, reading matter and conversation. See her notes here.
1 comment:
like the yellow film, last 9 I had send 2 email to Chinese premier and Obama(he is coming to Beijing in next few days),ask help for the free internet in China, but this morning the email to the Chinese gov had come back to me with virus,which made me can not login to my Hotmail again. I am trying to fix it ha ha.
Post a Comment