
Well, I’ve finally moved into a temporary studio for the next two months, and as I need to get my creative juices flowing again, I thought it would be useful to think about this as a kind of residency… to get back some of that excitement and intensity of being in a new place, for a limited period of time. So, I’m trying to come up with some small activities I can use to structure my time here. Like documenting the bike rides to and from home, or wherever else I’m going, and maybe repeating some of the things I did in Berlin, like filming the changes in light (it would be interesting to compare…). Maybe do some exercises in observation, some drawing, filming, and blogging (more regularly than before, of course!).
It’s an interesting studio, kind of cut off from the outside visually - the windows are all frosted, so you only see the vague coloured shadows of objects and people moving outside, but aurally it is dominated by sounds of cars driving past, and trucks beeping as they reverse into the laneway, the occasional shouts of delivery men for the shops on Sydney rd, or drunken voices from the patrons of Bridie O’Reilly’s on the corner. Inside, the studio is silent, except for the hum of the heater at my feet. It seems I’m the only one here usually. But I think it will be good to escape from this quiet oasis sometimes, and explore my surroundings in Brunswick. Even though I already know this area, maybe I can find a way to de-familiarise it, to make it as thrilling as Berlin!
Some photos, while riding to and from the studio, yesterday and today (temperature is warmer, cherry trees blossoming, feels like the end of winter already):












No comments:
Post a Comment